Friday, January 27, 2006

Mental Health Day

Today I’m taking a mental health day. That’s when you call in sick, but you’re really not. Except I’m kinda sick – a little stuffy, a raging headache, and an upset stomach. But it’s not a virus or bug that has me down. It’s change.

My immediate supervisor just took a different job. Yesterday was her last day. Faceted and I had become friends over the three years we worked together. And while I did not always agree with her managerial choices, Faceted supported me and everyone in the department with the ferocity of a mother lion. Now that she’s gone, the “big stuff” rests squarely on my shoulders. And I’m not even getting paid for it.

There’s opportunity, for sure. Moving into a managerial position is definitely part of my career plan. I’ve been asking lots of questions, getting the higher-ups to think through some niggling issues. And I’ve been encouraged by my coworkers to stay plugged-in, in front of the decision-makers. But the reality is, this is going to be a slow process. I’m facing five to six weeks of little or no movement at least. And still, the “big stuff” will rest on my shoulders.

So I’m taking a day for myself. To cuddle the kitties. To work on Critter’s flannel quilt. To scrapbook our Disneyland trip. To nap and recharge. Oh, yeah, and to wait for the UPS guy to deliver our new flat panel TV for the bedroom. Hee. A gift to Jewel Geek and myself from my last bonus. Why just have a TV, when you can have a gadget?

For today, it is all about ME. Let the crafting, cuddling, scrapping, and napping begin.

0 comments: